Our team launched a wellness series this Fall called "Embrace the Seasons: An Anti-Seasonal Depression Program." Running from October to March, this program offers a range of activations and events designed to address seasonal depression and provide support to our members.
Led by our Community Coordinator Ally Baird, she shares her vision with us on the inspiration behind anti-seasonal depression programming, inspiring wellness this winter at Bamboo.
Tell us about your vision for wellness programming at Bamboo.
My vision for wellness programming at Bamboo is to create a complete and holistic approach to support the well-being of our members. I believe that wellness encompasses not only physical health but also mental, emotional, and social well-being. My goal is to provide a diverse range of wellness activities and initiatives that cater to the unique needs and interests of our members. Through our wellness programming, we aim to offer opportunities for personal growth, self-care, and connection. We want our members to feel empowered to prioritize their well-being and have access to resources and support that enhance their overall quality of life. Whether it's through workshops, fitness classes, mindfulness sessions, or community events, our wellness programming strives to create a nurturing and inclusive environment where everyone can thrive.
Why Anti-Seasonal Depression Programming? What do you hope members gain from this special series? What will be included over the coming months?
Embrace the Seasons: An Anti-Seasonal Depression Program aims to address the impact of seasonal depression and provide support and resources to our members during the months when it is most prevalent. We hope that through this special series, our members will gain a better understanding of seasonal depression, learn effective coping strategies, and feel supported in their mental and emotional well-being. Over the coming months, we will be offering a range of activities and initiatives, such as:
- TedxTuesdays - Oct 17th - Dec 19th : An event where we watch inspiring TED talks, eat fresh popcorn, and engage in discussions.
- Thanksgiving Food Drive - Nov 1st - Nov 16th : A community initiative to give back and support those in need during the holiday season.
- Gentle Reminders - Nov - Mar : Reminders about Seasonal Depression and ideas to help combat it.
- Random acts of Kindness - Nov - Mar : Encouraging members to spread kindness and positivity through small acts.
- Vision Board Party - Dec 18th : A fun and inspiring party, where we will come together to visualize our goals and aspirations for the upcoming months.
- Journaling prompts - Jan - Mar : Prompts and exercises to encourage self-reflection and emotional well being.
- Wellness Panel Discussion - Mar : An engaging panel that features experts and professionals discussing various aspects of wellness.
How else can members of our community take care of themselves this season?
I think a few other ways members of our community can take care of themselves would be by prioritizing self-care and well-being. A few suggestions include:
- Prioritize physical health: Engage in regular exercise, eat nutritious meals, and get enough sleep. Taking care of your body can have a positive impact on your overall well-being.
- Practice mindfulness: Incorporate mindfulness techniques such as meditation, deep breathing exercises, or yoga into your daily routine. These activities can help reduce stress and promote relaxation.
- Connect with others: Maintain social connections by reaching out to friends and loved ones. Whether through virtual meetups or in-person gatherings, spending quality time with others can provide a sense of support and belonging.
- Engage in hobbies and activities: Dedicate time to activities that bring you joy and relaxation. This could be reading, painting, playing an instrument, or any other hobby that helps you unwind and recharge.
- Seek professional support: If you are experiencing difficulties, don't hesitate to reach out to a mental health professional. They can provide guidance, support, and additional coping strategies tailored to your specific needs.
Tell us a bit about your design studio, Take Care Studio’s, which also focuses on wellness and community. What’s your inspiration behind it and current goals?
My company Take Care Studios is a multifaceted creative and wellness community in Detroit that aims to provide a safe and supportive space for individuals to explore their passions, connect with like-minded peers, and prioritize self-care. Our inspiration stems from the belief that creativity and wellness go hand in hand and that fostering a sense of community is essential for personal growth. Our current goals include cultivating a vibrant and inclusive environment that nurtures creativity, wellness, and personal growth, empowering our community to live their best lives, and fostering a culture of self-care and support. We are committed to supporting the local community and partnering with organizations and individuals who share our vision for a more just and equitable world. Through our apparel line, events, and resources, we strive to make a positive impact and create a better world for all.
Is there anything else you’d like to share with the Bamboo community?
Join us for the Official Launch Party/Pop-Up Shop of Take Care Studios at Bamboo Royal Oak! Coming Early 2024 - Enjoy live music, refreshments, and engaging conversations with fellow community members. It's a chance to connect, shop our apparel line, support local artists and creators, and learn more about Take Care Studios and our vision for wellness and community.